Firefighters let home burn because family didn't pay $75 fee, sa - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Firefighters let home burn because family didn't pay $75 fee, says couple

Posted:

A Tennessee homeowner said firefighters refused to put out a blaze at her house because her family failed to pay a $75 fee, KFVS-TV reported Tuesday.

Homeowner Paulette Cranick, who lives in a rural area outside the city limits of South Fulton, Tenn., told the local station that her house caught fire Wednesday after her son was burning papers in a barrel on the property.

"I called 911," Cranick said. "They said, 'We're trying to get [the fire department] out there but they're not cooperating,' or words to that effect."

Cranick admitted that she and her husband Gene failed to pay the South Fulton fire department the annual $75 fee for rural fire coverage, but said it was an oversight.

"I've paid it many, many times ’ I just haven't gotten around to it [this year]," she said, adding that in the past the city’s firefighters had come to the rescue of rural families who had also failed to pay the fee.

A passerby and several neighbors helped douse the flames with a water hose, and firefighters finally arrived on the scene when the blaze had spread to the property of a neighbor who had paid the fee, Cranick told the station.

After losing her home, three dogs, and one cat in the fire, Cranick said, "I guess they have to let a house burn once in awhile to teach us a lesson."

Read more: http://www.kfvs12.com

Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices