Family mourning loss of 6-year-old who died as a result of E.coli exposure
MILLBURY (FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) The family of a 6-year-old Millbury boy who state health officials say died after he was exposed to E.coli bacteria are remembering the boy they call tough.
Owen Carrignan died on Saturday from complications related to hemolytic uremic syndrome, a form of kidney failure associated with E.coli infection.
Carrignan's father says that his son began having a stomach ache after visiting a friend's house. Owen's condition worsened before he died on Saturday.
Owen's mother remembers her son as a boy who loved sports. His family says Owen was playing sports up until the day before he fell ill.
Public health officials are investigating the child's death. It is currently unclear how Owen became exposed to the deadly strain of E.coli, but officials say they do believe this is an isolated incident.
A scholarship has been set up in Owen's name. The Owen E. Carrignan Sports Scholarship Fund will go to a graduating senior from Millbury High School who is an athlete and active in the community. Donations to the scholarship can be made at the Millbury Credit Union.