An epidemic of hearing loss could be headed our way and doctors say our lifestyles are largely to blame. Personal listening devices have become a major cause of hearing loss, according hearing specialist Dr. Sreek Cherukuri.
In a noisy world, we crank them up to drown out the racket and hear the music. But the trouble is, high volume is little by little, damaging the sensitive cells in our inner ears.
5 Things You Should Know About Hearing Loss
1. The Majority of people with hearing loss are UNDER age 65 (more than 6 million between 18-44 with hearing loss)
2. "My doctor would have told me if I had hearing loss" - FALSE - only 13% of physicians routinely screen for hearing loss during a physical - so even your doctor may miss it
3. If a person with hearing loss waits too long to start using hearing aids, they may have missed the window to actually benefit from hearing aids.
4. If I had a hearing loss, I would know - FALSE - hearing loss happens gradually and the signs are subtle at first. Our own built-in defenses and ability to adapt make it difficult to self-diagnose
5. Living with hearing loss is not a big deal. - FALSE - medical studies have shown that untreated hearing loss can lead to frustration, withdrawal, and depression. Trouble communicating with others creates a strain on relationships and a loss of esteem. Also, untreated hearing loss can cost a person up to $30,000 a year.