PELHAM, N.H. (FOX 25 /
MyFoxBoston.com) – Eleven people, including five children, were sent to the
hospital when fireworks exploded on the back deck of a home in Pelham, N.H.
on Tuesday night.
Neighbors say they heard the explosion from Christopher and Jeannie Pappathan's Dodge Road home nearly a mile away.
On Wednesday, fire officials confiscated more than 100 containers of fireworks from the home.
The family was getting ready to set off their annual fireworks display on Tuesday night when somehow the entire lot exploded on or near a back deck, setting that home ablaze.
SKYFOX was over the scene on Tuesday night and captured the flames traveling up the side of the home.
Two helicopters airlifted the most seriously injured children to Boston hospitals for serious injuries. Eight other victims were taken to area hospitals with various injuries.
William Troy, one of the Pappathan's neighbors, told FOX 25 that it was a "freak accident."
A spokesman for the Pappathan family described the event as a "tragic accident" and asked that the privacy of the family be respected during this difficult time.
Fire officials say their preliminary investigation found the Pappathan's set off some fireworks during the party which may have set off the stockpile underneath the home's back deck.
Neighbors say a sparkler could be to blame.
Either way, Pelham Fire Chief James Midgley believes they tragedy could have been prevented.
Officials say it is legal to buy fireworks in New
Hampshire, and the town of Pelham
has no restrictions on home displays.
Christopher Pappathan owns an insurance agency in Pelham. He was also reportedly injured during the explosion.