Exeter Hospital officials have said that a total of 3,300 people may have been exposed to hepatitis C, down from an original estimate of 6,000.
At a press conference Friday, the director of Health and Human Services in New Hampshire said the new numbers came after hospital officials scrubbed their original lists and discovered many repeated names and patients that had already been tested.
Nick Toumpas, HHS director, also announced a number of free testing clinics that will be held in August.
The first clinic will be held on August 10 and 11 at the Cooperative Middle School in Stratham, N.H. The second clinic will be held August 14 and 15 at Timberlane Regional High School in Plaistow, N.H. The third clinic would take place August 16-18 at the Manchester Health Department in Manchester. Another clinic would be held on August 16 at Rochester Middle School in Rochester. You must schedule an appointment directly with Exeter Hospital by calling (603) 580-6124 between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Toumpas said the main suspect in an investigation into a hepatitis C outbreak at the hospital may have had access to the main operating room and intensive care unit.
The suspect, David Matthew Kwiatkowski is accused of infecting at least 30 individuals with hepatitis C at the hospital.
Kwiatkowski, who has hepatitis C, began working at the hospital in April 2011 as a temporary employee. He previously worked as a traveling technician.
Investigators said Kwiatkowski stole the anesthetic fentanyl. They believe he injected himself with fentanyl, replaced it with saline solution and injected patients.