(FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) – Fall is here, and if you don't want to fall back on your workouts, you have to keep your immune system working effectively.
So what's the best defense to keep that summer body you worked so hard to get? Personal trainer and weight loss specialist Lisa Lynn has some tips.
The Defense Workout for Weight Loss
Lisa Lynn, Fitness Expert & Specialist in Weight Loss and Metabolic Disorders
Outline of Interview Segment:
Fall is here and if you don't want to fall back on your fitness regimen you have to keep your immune system pumped. If you get sick, you can't workout, which can be a huge step backwards when it comes to boosting your metabolism and losing weight. But there is a double-edged sword
You can also make yourself sick if you workout out too hard which can weaken the immune system. Your best defense is a Defense Style Workout to lose weight in the fall. Follow these steps:
1. Water over Wine: I know you have heard this a million times BUT DRINK lots of water especially in the fall when getting sick is more likely. Drink half your body weight in ounces as a starting point - EX: if you weigh 120 pounds drink 60 ounces of water daily! (props: glass of water)
2. Have M&Ms everyday: Not the chocolate candy BUT medicinal mushrooms (or what's know as AHCC). AHCC is the most researched specialty immune ingredient in the world with more than 80 supporting research studies. It is also the leading alternative cancer treatment used throughout Asia. AHCC turns up the dial on your natural immune response to help you fight off a wide range of immune system threats (beyond the flu). (props: mushrooms, AHCC)
3. Get 7-8 hours of ZZZZs: While sleeping our body releases immune strengthening compounds. Without sleep all of the stress hormones INCREASE causing us to gain fat around our midsection. Can't sleep? Try six drops of a hormone called oxytocin (best known for its role in sexual reproduction) before bed to help you fall asleep and stay asleep (it will also block the stress hormones making you store excess fat around your midsection). (props: oxytocin drops)
4. Take a Shot of Antioxidants: When taken in liquid form, antioxidants work fast and give you energy and they also neutralize the free radicals that make you sick. Vitamins A, C and E as well as COQ10 and minerals like zinc are the powerhouses in the antioxidant family. (props: shot glass with antioxidant and papaya fruit to show comparison)
5. Dial Down Exercise Intensity: Moderate exercise can boost your immunity and help you get better fast BUT if you exercise too hard you will weaken your immunity. Only exercise at 50 percent of what you are capable of and you will be exercising for a lifetime. (segue to fit minute)
Fit Minute: Plank Row
Flatten your abs & tone your shoulders fast with the Plank row
BENEFITS: Flattens your abs, Tightens your butt, tones the back of your shoulders AND fixes bad posture caused from sitting at desk all day
Go into a plank position-Be sure to keep your body in alignment so your head doesn't drop down and your butt is NOT sticking up in the air.
Balance yourself on one side while rowing (pushing your elbow back) a dumbbell back towards the ceiling WHILE staying in a tight plank. Repeat on the other side.
More tips at: www.lisalynnfitness.com