Patrick: 'Disappointing' end to Mass. Guard general's career - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Patrick: 'Disappointing' end to Mass. Guard general's career

Posted: Updated:

Gov. Deval Patrick says he has accepted the resignation of the commander of the Massachusetts National Guard, who was under investigation for an alleged rape in Florida in 1984.

Maj. Gen. Joseph Carter, who has served as the head of the Mass. National Guard since 2007, was placed on paid leave by Patrick in March, pending a criminal investigation by the U.S. Army.

In a statement released on Wednesday, Patrick said he has received the final report from the Army and that investigators had been unable to reach "definitive conclusions" about the allegations and Carter would not be prosecuted. But Patrick said the report raised "serious concerns" about Carter's actions.

"This is a disappointing end to a thirty-year career service leadership," Patrick said. "We agree General Carter's resignation is in the best interest of the National Guard and the people of Massachusetts.

The governor said Carter informed him on Wednesday that he planned to retire.

Maj. Gen. Leon Scott Rice will continue to serve as acting adjutant general of the Massachusetts National Guard.

 

The Head of the Massachusetts National Guard resigned Wednesday, amid an investigation into misconduct committed by him in the 80s.

 

A statement released by Gov. Deval Patrick's office said that Gen. Joseph Carter, who has served as the head of the Mass. National Guard since 2007, resigned because of a report that raised serious concerns about his actions and response to the allegations.

 

"This is a disappointing end to a thirty-year career service leadership," Patrick said. "We agree General Carter's resignation is in the best interest of the National Guard and the people of Massachusetts.

 

The release said that investigators were not able to reach a definitive conclusion about the allegations and that federal authorities had declined to prosecute.

 

Gen. Leon Scott Rice will take over Carter in the interim.

The Head of the Massachusetts National Guard resigned Wednesday, amid an investigation into misconduct committed by him in the 80s.

A statement released by Gov. Deval Patrick's office said that Gen. Joseph Carter, who has served as the head of the Mass. National Guard since 2007, resigned because of a report that raised serious concerns about his actions and response to the allegations.

"This is a disappointing end to a thirty-year career service leadership," Patrick said. "We agree General Carter's resignation is in the best interest of the National Guard and the people of Massachusetts.

The release said that investigators were not able to reach a definitive conclusion about the allegations and that federal authorities had declined to prosecute.

Gen. Leon Scott Rice will take over Carter in the interim.

Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices