Chief: Solvent caused Lawrence house explosion - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Chief: Solvent caused Lawrence house explosion

Posted: Updated:

LAWRENCE (AP) - Authorities say an explosion at a Lawrence home that sent a man and his teenage son to the hospital with serious injuries was caused when flammable solvent being used to remove carpet glue from a tile floor ignited.

Fifty-nine-year-old Luis Lopez and 13-year-old Frank Anthony Lopez were working together in the basement of the home at about 2:20 p.m. Saturday when the explosion occurred. They did not live at the home.

Father and son were flown to Boston hospitals. Frank Lopez is being treated at Shriner's Hospital, a pediatric burn center, while his dad is being cared for at Massachusetts General Hospital. Their conditions were not available Sunday night.

Fire Chief Jack Bergeron tells The Eagle-Tribune (http://bit.ly/Tbj3AB ) there are numerous ignition sources in the basement.

___

Information from: Eagle Tribune (North Andover, Mass.), http://www.eagletribune.com

Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices