Fall is here and temperatures are falling. That means turning on the furnace, which is a good time for a reminder of the dangers of carbon monoxide.
DMC Children's Hospital and the Kohl's Cares Foundation have put together these points to keep in mind.
Why is Carbon Monoxide Dangerous?
¡ Potential for the body to become oxygen-starved resulting in unconsciousness, permanent brain damage, and death
¡ Flame fueled (not electric)
¡ Gas appliances
¡ Symptoms similar to the cold or flu
¡ Shortness of breath on mild exertion
¡ Mild headaches
¡ Mental confusion
¡ Severe headaches
¡ Fainting on mild exertion
¡ On a wall 5 feet above the floor
¡ On the ceiling
¡ On any floor near bedrooms
¡ Never place over a fireplace or flame-producing appliance and keep away from children and pets.
¡ Silence the alarm, exit the house
¡ Ask if anyone is experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
¡ If yes, dial 911 immediately
¡ If no, ventilate the building, identify and remedy the source
What to do after the Carbon Monoxide alarm sounds
Where Should I Place a Carbon Monoxide Detector?
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Where does Carbon Monoxide Come From?