Intoxicated patient sets hospital bed on fire at U-M hospital - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Intoxicated patient sets hospital bed on fire at U-M hospital

Posted: Updated:
The University of Michigan Medical Center The University of Michigan Medical Center

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- An intoxicated patient and an imaginary cigarette resulted in two people suffering burns and minor damage to a University of Michigan Hospital bed.

University public safety spokeswoman Diane Brown tells AnnArbor.com for a story Sunday that the emergency room patient "was trying to light a non-existent cigarette."

Brown says the man "thought he had one," but set the bedding on fire at the Ann Arbor facility.

The patient was burned, as was a nurse who tried to put the fire out about 10:20 p.m. Saturday.

Hospital staff extinguished the flames before firefighters arrived. The fire was contained to the bed. No evacuations were necessary.

U-M police are investigating. The medical center is a designated smoke-free zone.

Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices