BOSTON (FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) Nearly 30 people were evaluated and eight people were taken to Boston hospitals after being exposed to carbon monoxide on Saturday.
Boston Fire officials were called to 28 Arlington Street at Boylston Street for a carbon monoxide incident at about 2:20 p.m. Saturday. The building is located across from Park Plaza.
Officials say the building houses a spa. They used fans to ventilate the building.
Fire officials originally believed the building's furnace could be a source of the carbon monoxide, but they soon learned the building runs on an electric system.
The fire chief has told the spa to have their gas dryers and their ventilators inspected. He says spa operators should bring the certificate from inspectors to him after the inspection before they can re-open part of their operation. This certification is not required by law, but the fire chief is requiring the spa receive the certification in light of Saturday's incident.
The first floor of the spa was cleared by fire officials because it runs on a different dryer system.
Earlier this week, seven people were transported to Boston area hospitals after being exposed to carbon monoxide inside a Mattapan home. Fire officials speaking after this incident warned the public about making sure carbon monoxide alarms are in working condition as the threat for exposure increases in the winter.