Bob Bashara sentenced to prison for up to 20 years - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Bob Bashara sentenced to prison for up to 20 years

Posted: Updated:
Bob Bashara at his sentencing Monday in Detroit (Credit: Fox 2 News) Bob Bashara at his sentencing Monday in Detroit (Credit: Fox 2 News)

By Amy Lange
Fox 2 News

DETROIT (WJBK) -- "Throughout my life, I have tried to help those less fortunate," Bob Bashara told Judge Bruce Morrow on Monday.

Once seemingly a pillar of his tony Grosse Pointe Park community, a Rotarian who donated a million pounds of food,
clothing and books to those in need, Bashara asked for leniency from the judge in his sentencing.  He had earlier pled guilty to trying to have accused hit man Joseph Gentz killed.

"My name on a plaque means nothing to me.  What does mean something is being able to use your talents and your skills to help those less fortunate," said Bashara.

As his mother and other relatives looked on, prosecutors said Bashara showed no remorse and took no responsibility for his actions.  He disagreed.

"If someone is in my way, the solution is not to follow the rules of ordered society, but to hire someone to kill the person in my way, and that is what he did to Mr. Gentz," said Assistant Wayne County Prosecutor Robert Moran.

"I understand that I must pay for what I have done and absolutely stand before you and my family and the world to take responsibility for my actions," Bashara said.

Gentz, who is accused of killing Bashara's wife Jane back in January and claims Bob paid him to do it, had Susan Reed, his attorney, read his statement.

"I have been telling the truth from the beginning.  Bob has used me and threatened me.  He told me he had friends in the mafia and would have me killed," Gentz's statement said.  "I was afraid for my life because he said he could get to me anywhere, even in jail."

In the end, the judge showed no leniency.

"I'm of the opinion that he should receive a sentence of 80 months to 240 months," Morrow said.

That's a minimum of six years and eight months to 20 years behind bars.

Bashara seemed to sit in court in disbelief.

"It's difficult.  Very emotional.  I mean, this is not an easy thing to go through, obviously," said Mark Kriger, his attorney.

The judge told Bashara he does get credit for time served, which is 168 days.

Up next is the trial for Joseph Gentz.  Meanwhile, it is still unclear whether or not Bashara will be charged in the murder of his wife.

• Amy LangeMore from Amy LangeMore>>

Former SMART employee's lawsuit battle drags on after 10 years

Wednesday, August 27 2014 11:49 PM EDT2014-08-28 03:49:24 GMT
    The case was originally about workplace discrimination. Now it's dragged on for more than a decade despite the case appearing to be one that the Suburban Mobility Authority for Regional Transportation can't win.

Family's home hit hard by storms for second time

Wednesday, August 27 2014 8:51 PM EDT2014-08-28 00:51:07 GMT
    For Ericka Page, first came the flood, then the gas line break and Tuesday, the massive tree limb that broke off with part of it landing on her house.

Police investigate connection of Southfield suicide and Detroit homicide

Wednesday, August 27 2014 6:26 PM EDT2014-08-27 22:26:24 GMT
    Police have identified a man's body with a gunshot wound to the chest found under an overpass at 9 Mile and Southfield Tuesday afternoon.At about the time Michael Young, 56, was found, Detroit Police were called to his home - on Westmoreland for a welfare check."The Woman had not been seen since Saturday," said Detroit Police Officer Adam Madera. "We received a 911 call for the well being check and Southfield Police Department showed up all at the same time."Inside police found the body of 56...
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

WATCH: Fox 2's Rich Luterman take the Ice Bucket Challenge

Monday, September 1 2014 4:58 PM EDT2014-09-01 20:58:51 GMT
    Fox 2 Weather Authority Rich Luterman took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, after receiving challenges by a couple friends, including Monica Gayle.Watch Rich take the challenge with the assistance of his children and see who he issues the challenge to.

VP Joe Biden speaks in Detroit on Labor Day

Monday, September 1 2014 1:18 PM EDT2014-09-01 17:18:46 GMT
    This is the second time vice president Joe Biden has been in Detroit on Labor Day in the past three years.

RECALL: Kraft American Singles Cheese Slices

Monday, September 1 2014 8:05 AM EDT2014-09-01 12:05:15 GMT
    Kraft voluntarily recalled 7,691 cases of its American Singles cheese product Friday because an ingredient was stored improperly by a supplier.
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices