Child dies in NH mobile home fire - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Child dies in NH mobile home fire

Posted: Updated:

LONDONDERRY, N.H. (FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) - A child has died following a fire that occurred on Thursday at a mobile home in Londonderry, N.H.

Fire officials told FOX 25 that a child had died in the fire at 17 Norwich Place Thursday afternoon. Officials are withholding the age and name of the child.

Neighbors told FOX 25 that they heard what sounded like a small explosion coming from inside the mobile home. They then saw smoke and fire.

James Herman, a man who lives a few houses down, saw the distress and did the best he could to assist in the rescue.

"We broke the window, and I climbed up on a trash can and tried to reach in and started to pull on the blankets of the crib," Herman told FOX 25's Ted Daniel. "I tried to reach for anything I could, and then I took one breath and just fell backwards puking black."

Herman knew that three young boys reportedly lived in the home with their mother.

Unfortunately, his worst fears were confirmed when he says the mother of the children came running from a relative's home across the street screaming that one of the kids was still inside.

The mother reportedly attempted to rescue her child, but was unsuccessful and injured herself in the process. She was transported to a local hospital with minor injuries.

New Hampshire State Fire Marshal Bill Degnan said the fire started in the kitchen and was caused by food left on the stove. The fire was declared accidental.

Stay with FOX 25 for further updates.

 

Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices