Author Coleen Christian Burke's "Christmas With The First Ladies" recipes.
A recipe from the White House Pastry Kitchen
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Beat butter and brown sugar in large mixing bowl until creamy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add molasses and fresh ginger.
5. Combine !our, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
6. Add the !our mixture to large mixing bowl, and stir until combined.
7. Use a small spoon to scoop cookies into small balls, dip in ¼ cup of granulated sugar, and place on parchment-lined baking sheet sugar side up.
8. Bake at 350° F for 12 minutes, or less if you like them chewy.
9. Remove from oven and allow cookies to rest for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.
Yields 30-36 cookies