How to stay safe this winter with Kohl's winter safety - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

How to stay safe this winter with Kohl's winter safety

Posted: Updated:
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (WJBK) -

For tips on how to prevent fires, carbon monoxide poisoning, frostbite and more, watch the video recap.

When heading outdoors into cold weather, make sure to dress in layers, but more specifically with Polartec, insulating material and any clothing filled with down.
Do not forget thick socks, well-insulated boots, hats, scarves, and gloves or mittens. For children who like sledding or snowman building, make sure they come inside every couple of hours. As soon as children come inside, be sure to change out of wet clothing and provide a cup of hot cocoa to warm up more quickly.

In order to avoid frostbite, learn the early signs of what to look out for. Frostnip and other skin changes are the first signs of frostbite. Fingers and toes are the most affected by frostbite and it can happen in minutes. Due to blood pulling away from the affected area, fingers will turn bright red, followed by a mixture of red and white patches. If skin feels hard or rubbery, call 9-1-1 immediately. If you are concerned that you or a child may have frostbite, call the doctor, waiting too long can make frostbite worse.
If you cannot get to a hospital right away, give your child a warm drink and begin first-aid treatment to warm the body, including carrying the child if the feet are affected. Do not apply direct heat, such as a heating pad and avoid rubbing frostbitten skin.

Other things to watch out for and take action to prevent inside the home are carbon monoxide poisoning and fires.
To prevent the highly dangerous, yet odorless, tasteless gas, install carbon monoxide detectors. Early symptoms of carbon moxodie poisoning are long-lasting headaches, dizziness, nausea and feeling extremely tired. Carbon monoxide poisoning is serious and causes approximately 15,000 emergency department visits and nearly 500 deaths annually in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (www.cdc.gov)

The risk of fires does increase with cold weather. To avoid in-home fires, make sure to inspect wood stoves or fireplaces and keep electric or kerosene space heaters away from curtains, furniture, or other flammable materials. If you must use a kerosene heater, fill it outdoors and keep it 3 feet away from flammable materials, including yourself. When going to sleep, be sure to turn the kerosene heater off. Smoke detectors should be checked every few months and batteries replaced.

For more winter safety tips visits www.childrensdmc.org/kidshealth.

Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices