Cuomo: Some homeowners can sell to state and move - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Superstorm Sandy

Cuomo, Christie lay out plans for Sandy hit homeowners

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

For the last 50 years, the Hirsch family has spent their days loving life in Long Beach, Long Island.

There is nothing that would make them leave; not even Superstorm Sandy, which destroyed their bungalow by the bay.

So imagine their surprise when they heard New York State is offering to buy homeowners out of their homes in certain places at fair market value and leave the land vacant. It would be a cheaper option than helping residents rebuild time and again.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo told the Daily News editorial board that some homeowners should give it some thought.

The buyout would be paid with the federal relief money, requested from Washington.

What wouldn't be paid for is Cuomo's recommendation that the homeowners who do stay build their homes on stilts.

Governor Chris Christie says New Jersey is adopting the advisory flood maps released last month by the federal government to help guide rebuilding following Superstorm Sandy. The maps establish new standards for rebuilding along the Jersey Shore.

The maps establish new standards for rebuilding along the Jersey Shore. They show a higher risk of flooding in some areas than the old maps did and establish tougher guidelines for rebuilding, including in some places higher elevations.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency expects to take 18 to 24 months to adopt the standards. Christie says it didn't make sense to use old maps to guide New Jersey's rebuilding or wait for FEMA to formally adopt them.

The governor says he believes there are "very few places" where New Jerseyans won't be able to rebuild.

Christie warns those who don't rebuild according to the new flood map standards could see greatly higher insurance costs.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • New York State NewsNew York State NewsMore>>

  • Mark David Chapman

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    John Lennon's killer denied parole again

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:10 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:10:09 GMT
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
    John Lennon's killer was denied release from prison in his eighth appearance before a parole board, New York corrections officials said Friday. The decision on Mark David Chapman by a three-member board came after a hearing Wednesday, the state Department of Corrections said. Chapman fired five shots on Dec. 8, 1980, outside the Dakota apartment house where Lennon lived on Manhattan's Upper West Side, hitting the ex-Beatle four times.
  • Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Fitbit responds to data selling accusations

    Friday, August 22 2014 12:57 PM EDT2014-08-22 16:57:29 GMT
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
    The maker of a popular line of wearable fitness-tracking devices says it has never sold personal data to advertisers, contrary to concerns raised by U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer. San Francisco-based Fitbit said Friday that it has clarified its privacy policy to make it clear the company doesn't share information about its users. Schumer raised concerns about the company's privacy policy earlier this month and called for federal rules to allow consumers to protect their data.
  • Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Torture video leads to kidnapping convictions

    Friday, August 22 2014 8:00 AM EDT2014-08-22 12:00:26 GMT
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
    A jury shown the videotaped torture of a kidnapping victim has convicted the two men who held a man captive for 17 hours at a Buffalo home because they thought he was a police informant. Authorities say the two men kidnapped a 25-year-old crack addict they accused of being a snitch. Video from Dawson's cellphone shows a gun being shoved into the victim's mouth and the victim being forced to lick his own blood off the boot of a captor.
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices