Two children were rushed to the hospital on Saturday night for potential carbon monoxide exposure.
Boston Police confirm to FOX 25 that two children between the ages of 5 and 10 were pulled from a car on Porter Street after suffering from what appears to be carbon monoxide poisoning. Their injuries do not appear to be life-threatening.
Earlier in the day, a child from Dorchester died due to carbon monoxide poisoning. He was shoveling around the family car with his father when he got cold and went into the car to warm up. The tail pipe was encased in snow, causing carbon monoxide to leak into the car.
The child's father was also transported to the hospital after suffering from respiratory arrest.
A second person died after being found inside a car on Woolson Street in Mattapan. He was reportedly found sitting inside a parked car that was running.
The two fatalities occurred as the region cleans up after a massive snow storm. Boston Police issued a warning to residents on Saturday about the dangers of carbon monoxide during cold weather.
Here are some of the precautions released by Boston Police:
If shoveling out your vehicle, be sure to remove any snow or ice that may be blocking the exhaust pipe.
If using a fire place, be sure to open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace.
Avoid using an oven or stovetop to heat your home as the CO gas could have harmful effects to both people and pets.
Make sure all fuel-burning vented equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning. Keep the venting for exhaust clear and unblocked.
If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Never run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not blocked with snow, ice or other materials. The CO gas might kill people and pets.
Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.
Only use barbecue grills outside, away from all doors, windows, vents and other building openings. Some grills can produce CO gas. Never use grills inside the home or the garage, even if the doors are open.
Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, vents and other building openings to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the home.