Man sentenced in 2002 NYC bar hostage ordeal - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Man sentenced in 2002 NYC bar hostage ordeal

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (AP) -

A man has been sentenced to 240 years in prison for terrorizing patrons at a New York City bar during a bizarre hostage ordeal more than a decade ago.

Steve Johnson cursed at the judge and railed about the economy during his sentencing Friday in the 2002 kidnapping at Bar Veloce in the East Village.

Johnson invaded the bar with three pistols, a samurai sword and a container of kerosene. He shot and wounded three people and sprayed kerosene on several customers.

A jury convicted Johnson last month of charges including attempted murder. Authorities say Johnson, who is black, targeted white patrons.

It was the 45-year-old's third trial. The first trial deadlocked in 2004. The second resulted in a conviction and a 240-year prison sentence but was overturned on appeal.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Baldwin: Rather pay up than apologize over arrest

    Baldwin: Rather pay up than apologize over arrest

    Actor Alec Baldwin is not apologizing over an incident that led to a disorderly conduct arrest in May.
    Actor Alec Baldwin is not apologizing over an incident that led to a disorderly conduct arrest in May.
  • Lawyers working to resolve LaBeouf's theater arrest

    Lawyers working to resolve LaBeouf's theater arrest

    Thursday, July 24 2014 12:35 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:35:07 GMT
    Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf's disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month. Prosecutors and LaBeouf's lawyer told a judge Thursday that they're exploring an agreement to resolve the case. LaBeouf was arrested after he allegedly disrupted a performance of "Cabaret" starring Alan Cumming. He is due back in court Sept. 10.
    Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf's disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month. Prosecutors and LaBeouf's lawyer told a judge Thursday that they're exploring an agreement to resolve the case. LaBeouf was arrested after he allegedly disrupted a performance of "Cabaret" starring Alan Cumming. He is due back in court Sept. 10.
  • Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:08 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:08:13 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices