Massive building explosion in Harrison, NJ - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Investigators try to determine cause of Harrison explosion

Posted: Updated:
NEW JERSEY (MYFOXNY.COM) -

There's no word yet what sparked a five-alarm fire in Harrison, New Jersey that injured five Jersey City firefighters. The fire Sunday morning apparently started in a restaurant on the ground floor of a two-story building.

A massive back draft explosion went off and rocked the block.

The firefighters are expected to be ok.  At least six families were homeless as a result of the fire. 

Cell phone video showed the massive back draft explosion as it erupted in a flaming building on Frank E. Rogers Boulevard. 

"First it was some then after the explosion the flames came out and went into the homes," said Diego Basante. 

"I heard a noise and I saw smoke going up into the air," said eyewitness Donna Padovano. "It was very scary, there were flames coming from every single window."

Firefighters were here fighting an existent fire and when the blast went off some went flying through the air. 

"They were literally thrown out of the building by the smoke explosion," said Harrison Fire Capt. Robert Gille. 

The five Jersey City firefighters were rushed to the hospital. Fire Captain Gille says two were held for further examination and at least one suffered serious cuts and another reported chest pains. 

The fire also spread upstairs to the Dios Luz and Vida church, where Sunday morning services were underway. 

"We had just finished prayer and worship when I walked past the door and I saw a lot of people and they were yelling fire!" 

Jackeline Flores, the granddaughter of the church's pastor, helped evacuate more than 50 people from the church. 

"When the explosion happened we saw the firefighters pull back and we saw one person injured on the ground, that's when it hit us our church was lost," Flores said. 

Flores says the congregation lost everything in the fire, including newly purchased equipment that was to be used in a special anniversary celebration next month. 

"We're thankful overall God got all of us out save and the materials can be replaced. 

The Red Cross said they were assisting more than 15 people displaced by the fire. The cause remains under investigation.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Thursday, July 31 2014 5:20 PM EDT2014-07-31 21:20:31 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Man charged for the overdose death of Hillsborough resident on Christmas Eve

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:38 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:38:39 GMT

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

    A Bridgewater man has been charged with the death of a 22-year-old Hillsborough resident who overdosed on Heroin Christmas Eve morning, according to nj.com.

  • East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    East Hanover man admits exposing himself to child

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:34 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:34:55 GMT
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
    An East Hanover man previously convicted of child endangerment pleaded guilty Wednesday to exposing himself to another child on several occasions when she was between the ages of 4 and 6. Kenneth Lull, 48, who has been in jail since 2008, received a three-year suspended sentence under the plea agreement, according to NJ.com.
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices