WHATELY, Mass. (AP) - Authorities say a 94-year-old woman and her 64-year-old daughter have died in a house fire in the western Massachusetts town of Whately.
A spokeswoman for the Northwestern district attorney's office identified the victims as Mary Golonka and her daughter, Sonia Golonka.
State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan says the fire in what he described as a single-family farmhouse was reported at about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday.
He and Whately Fire Chief John Hannum say the fire started beneath an old fireplace that had deteriorated and allowed heat and possibly sparks to escape.
Whately fire officials say the victims were pulled from the home and taken to a Northampton hospital. Firefighters from eight surrounding communities helped battle the blaze.
25 FOX DriveDedham, MA 02026
Phone (781) 467-2525