(FOXNEWS.com) - Canadian authorities have broken up what is being described as a "major terrorist attack" that may have included targets there and in New York, Fox News has confirmed.
Arrests could be announced as early as Monday afternoon, and sources said charging documents could be filed in federal court in New York. The plot is unrelated to the Boston Marathon attack, sources said. An official says there is no current credible threat to New York City.
Earlier, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation said Canadian police and intelligence agencies were to announce multiple arrests after an operation to thwart the attack. The operation was coordinated with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the FBI, CBC said. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said in a statement the investigation was coordinated by a multi-agency team comprised of the RCMP, Canadian Security Intelligence Services, the Canada Border Service Agency and other law enforcement and national security partners in Montreal and Toronto, Canada's two largest cities.
The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation reported earlier that police and intelligence agencies had made multiple arrests in connection with the alleged plot.