Tyrone Grissom says he and other neighbors tried to get children out of the home they saw burning down the street.
The group was able to contact the oldest of the children in the home, 11-year-old Molly McCrary, and helped to lead her out.
"Smoke just shot up there. Fire was crawling up the walls. Black smoke everywhere. It to real intense. Got to breaking out the windows to see if we can get anyone to respond, we finally got the girl to respond," said Grissom.
The still-growing memorial outside the home is testament to the damage the blaze left behind.
Four other girls at the house for a sleepover as well as the mother of two of the children, Lola McCrary, died inside the home.
"But the smoke was so fierce, man, you really couldn't do anything," Grissom said.
The state fire marshal says wiring in an electrical panel started the blaze. Now, city officials want to know what the building's landlord knew about those issues.
"We'll be going to the building department to see what kind of permits might have been pulled in the last few years and any issues that might have went on with the residence," said Newnan Police Chief Douglas Meadows.
Family members tell FOX 5 that the home had a number of electrical issues. They say Lola McCary just moved into the home a couple months ago and within the last week called her landlord to get electrical issues repaired.
Those same family members said they thought the problem was fixed. FOX 5 was unable to contact the landlord.
As for neighbors like Grissom, despite seeing to it that one child survive, people in this community continue mourning the loss of four others.