Study: 4 of America's most violent neighborhoods are in Detroit - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Study: 4 of America's most violent neighborhoods are in Detroit

Posted: Updated:
American Street is at the center of a Detroit neighborhood a new study named the most violent of them all. American Street is at the center of a Detroit neighborhood a new study named the most violent of them all.
  • Study: 4 of America's most violent neighborhoods are in DetroitMore>>

A look at Detroit's most dangerous neighborhoods

Tuesday, April 30 2013 11:21 AM EDT2013-04-30 15:21:13 GMT
    The Motor City is home to the 3 most dangerous neighborhoods in the country, and four out of the top seven, according to a new study published by Neighborhood Scout.
DETROIT (WJBK) -

It's not surprising that Detroit, America's most violent city, would have the country's most violent neighborhood.  But Detroit is also home to America's second, third and seventh most violent neighborhood, as well.

According to a new study by NeighborhoodScout.com, a person living in these neighborhoods has worse than a one in ten chance of being robbed at gunpoint, beaten senseless, raped or murdered.  This shocked even us.

So my partner Matt Phillips and I took a drive to the west side to the exact center of the most violent neighborhood of them all on American Street.

How long do you expect to live, I asked a 21-year-old resident.

"At least 90 or a hundred," he said, but added, "You never know when it's your time to go."

"What's your dream?" I asked him.

"My dream, I really want to play professional baseball.  I was doing that at one point in time," he said.

Also see: A look at Detroit's most dangerous neighborhoods

It's a typical type of Detroit neighborhood, the kind not included in the downtown talks of money and real estate and rebirth.  Here it goes church, liquor store, church, liquor store.  Looking around, it's hard to know which has had the greater influence.

"We just heard a bunch of gunshots and [saw] a car, and that was it," the 21-year-old said.  "That's when I found out a person I knew got killed."

"When I [saw] it happen, it messed me up then," he added.  "Then as I got older... I started... to just understand what happened basically."

"Bottom line is here these single parents are trying to raise these kids.  These kids don't have anybody at home but television, and they're running loose," another person commented.

"We didn't do that kind of stuff.  Our parents were parents.  The parents of today, they just aren't the same as ours, and I think that's wherein lies the real problem," a police officer said.

"And then not enough uncles in blue to clean up the mess," I said.

"Exactly. They won't let us be uncles like I had an uncle in blue.  He wouldn't allow it.  He would've kicked my you know what," the officer remarked.

"It's to the fact if they really care or not, honestly, if they really care to solve the crime because there's so many unsolved crimes in Detroit it's ridiculous.  It's just a cycle.  It just keep going on and on," the 21-year-old said.

"People started losing their homes.  People started losing hope.  People didn't have anywhere to go," said one person.

"Your options are very limited.  You can leave and try to have a future, or you can stay and you're rolling the dice," another said.

We're all cousins living in this thing called America, and when we're gone, the talk about us and what we were, whether you lived on American Street or the Avenue of the Americas, it's up to us about what they'll say.

"My heart is in Detroit.  I grew up in this city.  I know this city well.  [I'm not] saying I'm going to be here for the rest of my life, but at this point in time I'm here.  I'm dealing with it," the 21-year-old said.

• Charlie LeDuffCharlie LeDuffMore>>

LeDuff: Where is the respect for the real hosts of the Super Bowl?

Super Bowl XLVIII is in New York.  Well, not exactly.  The Super Bowl's host city is actually East Rutherford, N.J.  Sometimes it's hard to get respect in America if you're not from places like NYC or LA.
    Super Bowl XLVIII is in New York.  Well, not exactly.  The Super Bowl's host city is actually East Rutherford, N.J.  Sometimes it's hard to get respect in America if you're not from places like Los Angeles., Washington, D.C. or New York.  If you live in New Jersey, you're in the shadow of the Big Apple.

Ground Zero of the North Dakota Oil Boom

Friday, March 7 2014 12:11 PM EST2014-03-07 17:11:13 GMT
    In another installment of The Americans with Charlie LeDuff, Charlie and his crew head to Williston, North Dakota, where the oil boom is making the small town the epicenter of opportunity and big city problems.
    Tens of thousands of Americans are drifting into places like Williston, North Dakota where the oil boom is making the small town the epicenter of opportunity.

If you're willing to work 100 hours a week you could make $100,000 in a year.  Along with opportunity there are problems and a changing landscape to small town life that's as harsh as winter on the northern planes.

LeDuff: Detroit's bankruptcy is helping police do their jobs

Friday, March 7 2014 11:46 AM EST2014-03-07 16:46:27 GMT
    Detroit police are doing better because less money is being paid to creditors and more is being invested in police services. Go on an exclusive ride to see how the fight on crime is getting new support.
    Detroit is a godforsaken place.  Everyone knows that.  Detroit is a mess, no doubt. Here's the thing: some of the factors that put Detroit $18 billion in debt could be factors in your town. Cities all over the country are struggling to pay for health care and retiree pensions. They're seeing revenues from property taxes and sales taxes drop as they try to pay for expensive projects that were approved before the recession.
  • Charlie LeDuff: Off The ChainCharlie LeDuff: Off The ChainMore>>

Sayonara Bingaling

Friday, December 13 2013 7:35 PM EST2013-12-14 00:35:18 GMT
    LeDuff: From my perch, I can say Bing was a mayor who preferred to get his nails polished but never dirty.

LeDuff goes inside massive Detroit Police raid

Tuesday, December 3 2013 7:57 PM EST2013-12-04 00:57:27 GMT
    On Tuesday, police in Detroit teamed up with Michigan State Police and federal law enforcement officers to conduct a massive raid the size of a city block.

Is this the crest of dawn in this thing we call a city?

Friday, November 8 2013 6:12 PM EST2013-11-08 23:12:53 GMT
    LeDuff: Darkness Rules. And then on a corner of a street called Crusade, a case of what should be considered normal becomes the extraordinary:a streetlight gets repaired. And the curtains get pulled back from the iron door.
    LeDuff: Darkness Rules. And then on a corner of a street called Crusade, a case of what should be considered normal becomes the extraordinary: a streetlight gets repaired. And the curtains get pulled back from the iron door.
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices