BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com/AP) -- Fire officials say the careless disposal of smoking materials caused a fatal three-alarm fire in Allston.
An investigation revealed the fire began in an area of a staircase that was closed off from the first floor, but open on the second floor.
Fire crews responded to the 2 1/2-story wood frame house at 87 Linden Street at about 6:30 a.m. Sunday.
A Boston University student, identified as 22-year-old Binland Lee of Brooklyn, N.Y., was killed in the fire. Fifteen people sustained minor injuries, including two other BU students and six firefighters.
Officials say 19 people lived at the home, most in the top floor and attic. One resident was seen jumping from the roof to safety.
The Boston Globe reports the citations released Tuesday by the Inspectional Services Department allege the landlord was operating an illegal rooming house by allowing 19 people to live in the two-family home, and didn't have proper permits for basement bedrooms. The inspection citations could be sent to housing court if the landlord, Anna Belokurova of Newton, doesn't bring the property up to code.