Stopped runners invited to 2014 Boston Marathon - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Stopped runners invited to 2014 Boston Marathon

Posted: Updated:

BOSTON (MyFoxBoston.com/AP) — Boston Marathon runners who were stopped on the course when bombs went off at the finish line will have a chance to come back and run again next year, race organizers said on Thursday.

One month and one day after the April 15 explosions that killed three people and wounded hundreds more, the Boston Athletic Association said that 5,633 people who were stopped on the second half of the course when the race was shut down at 2:50 p.m. will be allowed to register early for next year's race.

"The opportunity to run down Boylston Street and to cross the finish line amid thousands of spectators is a significant part of the entire Boston Marathon experience," B.A.A. executive director Tom Grilk said. "With the opportunity to return and participate in 2014, we look forward to inviting back these athletes."

The B.A.A. said runners who passed the halfway checkpoint at 13.1 miles but hadn't reached the finish line will get a code to register in August; regular registration is scheduled to begin in September. Runners will be required to pay the entry fee — the amount hasn't been determined yet — but they will not have to re-qualify by running another marathon in a given time.

Normal registration for the Boston Marathon requires a qualifying time from 3 hours 5 minutes for an 18- to 34-year-old man to 5:25 for an 80-year-old woman. The requirement forces most runners to spend a full year training for their qualifying and Boston runs and makes the race, for many, a one-time event.

The announcement was quickly praised on the B.A.A. Facebook page, where thousands of people — many of them using the B.A.A. logo or other marathon-related photos for their profile picture — "liked" the announcement. Hundreds posted comments vowing to return.

"I don't feel entitled to this in the least," wrote Maggie Lapan. "But thank you BAA."

The B.A.A. said it has contacted those affected, a group that includes 2,611 runners from Massachusetts and 726 from 47 countries. There are 2,983 women and 2,650 men, aged 18 to 82.

"Boston spectators are known for their impassioned support and unbridled enthusiasm, and they will give these returning athletes some of the loudest cheers at next year's race," Grilk said in the release, which added that no decision has been made on whether the 2014 field will expand to include an expected influx of runners who say they want to run next year to support the race and the city.

"We want to thank our participants for their patience as we continue to work through the details of arranging this accommodation for them," Grilk said. "And we ask for continued patience from the running community as we plan the 2014 Boston Marathon next April."

The B.A.A. has granted limited deferrals in the past, including one for European runners who couldn't get to town because of the Icelandic volcano eruption in 2010. Last year, with forecasts of dangerous heat, organizers allowed everyone a chance to defer their entry to this year's race; a few hundred took advantage of the offer.

 

News release from the BAA:

BOSTON - The B.A.A., organizer of the Boston Marathon, is issuing an invitation to participate in the 2014 Boston Marathon to official entrants in the 2013 Boston Marathon who were unable to cross the Boylston Street finish line. More than 5000 official starters were affected on Monday, April 15 at the 117th Boston Marathon when the race was stopped at 2:50 p.m. ET.

"The opportunity to run down Boylston Street and to cross the finish line amid thousands of spectators is a significant part of the entire Boston Marathon experience," said Tom Grilk, B.A.A. Executive Director. "With the opportunity to return and participate in 2014, we look forward to inviting back these athletes and we expect that most will renew their marathon training commitment. Boston spectators are known for their impassioned support and unbridled enthusiasm, and they will give these returning athletes some of the loudest cheers at next year's race. We want to thank our participants for their patience as we continue to work through the details of arranging this accommodation for them, and we ask for continued patience from the running community as we plan the 2014 Boston Marathon next April."

To be eligible, a 2013 Boston Marathon participant must have been an official entrant who started the race and who reached the half marathon mark in this year's race on Monday, April 15. Registration for the 2014 Boston Marathon is scheduled to occur in September, and 2013 Boston Marathon participants who were unable to cross the finish line on Boylston Street will receive a non-transferable unique code in early August to be used for entry. An applicant's entry will be guaranteed only during a designated registration period. Participants will be required to pay an entry fee, which has yet to be determined.

The B.A.A. has communicated by email to the participants in this year's race who are eligible. Among the 5633 in this group are 2611 from Massachusetts and 726 who are international. In total, residents of 54 states and 47 countries are among this group. Also, the group is comprised of 2983 women and 2650 men and ages range from 18 to 82.

No decision has been made on the maximum field size for the 2014 Boston Marathon, including the number of qualifiers and invitational applications available. The B.A.A. will work with many partners, including public safety officials, before determining changes, if necessary, to the event and the race.

Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices