(MyFoxBoston.com) – An outdoor concert will be held in the City of Boston on Memorial Day in remembrance of those who served and gave their lives for freedom.
The concert titled Remembrance: A Musical Tribute to Our Fallen Heroes will be held at Christopher Columbus Park along Atlantic Avenue from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on May 27.
Boston Mayor Tom Menino and Veterans Services Commissioner Francisco Ureña announced the new Memorial Day tradition Thursday.
"Memorial Day is about honoring those who served and gave their lives for our freedom, and I am proud to introduce this moving musical tribute," Mayor Menino said.
The concert, which includes musical performances by the Metropolitan Wind Symphony and the Boston City Singers, is free and open to the public.
Attendees are allowed and urged to bring their lawn chairs, and public transportation is highly recommended via MBTA Blue Line, Aquarium stop. Parking is available at the Boston Harbor Garage.
Remembrance 2013 is the last event in a slate of Memorial Day Observances going on around the city, including:
• Thursday, May 23 - Massachusetts Military Heroes Fund service for the fallen, 10:30 a.m., Soldiers and Sailors Monument on Boston Common
• Sunday, May 26 - Memorial Day Ceremony, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Mount Hope Cemetery, 355 Walk Will St., Mattapan
• Monday, May 27 - Hyde Park Events -- 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. beginning with a service at Fogg-Roberts American Legion Post 78, 56 Harvard avenue, followed by a march to a Mass at Most Precious Blood Parish at 43 Maple Street, followed by a tour of Hyde Park Hero Squares, ending with a procession to the Civil War Memorial at Fairview Cemetery for closing ceremonies.
• Monday, May 27 -- Gardens at Gethsemane 45th Annual Memorial day Service, 9:30 a.m., 670 Baker St., West Roxbury
• Monday, May 27 - Memorial Day Service , 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Evergreen Cemetery, 2060 Commonwealth Ave., Brighton.