Weighing 305 at 17, Jonathan changes course, loses 130 pounds - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Weighing 305 at 17, Jonathan changes course, loses 130 pounds

Posted: Updated:
Jonathan Bower is a weight loss winner after dropping 130 pounds. Jonathan Bower is a weight loss winner after dropping 130 pounds.
SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (WJBK) -

The pediatrician called him a really big baby, his parents believed their boy was genetically destined to be obese, but he proved them all wrong. One day, he made a critical decision and then became a weight loss winner.

"I always looked in the mirror and I saw just this big kid, and I always just thought that was who I was always going to be," said Jonathan Bower.

So a big kid is exactly what the chubby boy became. From the early days, many believed Jonathan was destined to be big.

"The pediatrician said, you know, I've never seen a baby this big," said his father, Jeff.

The years added up and so did Bower's weight. He came to love two things -- food and music -- but for the kind hearted, gentle soul, there were painful, private moments.

"I slipped and fell in the snow, and I just remember these two guys surrounded me and just like laughed and pointed at me saying look at the fat guy rolling on the ground," Jonathan said. "Bad thoughts came into my head, and I started feeling less than."

"I should've never allowed this to get so bad," Jeff said.

Looking back, Jeff realizes he indulged both his boys with junk food and fast food, contributing to the problem and creating conflict in the house.

"There were times where I was totally irresponsible, and I hope there are other families out there that maybe take a lesson from this," he said.

"I was horribly worried," Jonathan's mother Jayne said.

As a news anchor on WWJ Radio mom was acutely aware of the health risks that come from childhood obesity. Fixing it is not as easy to figure out. As she watched Jonathan grow, she tried to be a healthy role model, but she also knew change would have to start with Jonathan.

"You can read all the diet books on the planet, you can go to all the Weight Watchers meetings, but unless you make the decision to do it for yourself, to do it for your family, it's not going to happen," she said.

So at 305 pounds, the young man about to graduate from high school decided it was time to change course.

"17 years old and he came to me and said, 'What I want for Christmas, mom, is a Weight Watchers membership and a leather jacket after I lose the weight.' And I said, 'Done.'"

"Since that day, something just clicked in my brain, and I changed for the better and got healthy," Jonathan said.

Jonathan started paying attention to everything he ate. It was salads instead of sandwiches, no more fast food, and Weight Watchers support meetings helped him realize his mistakes.

"I used to drink like five or six [cans of soda] each day," he said.

It only took about ten months for Jonathan to turn around a problem that plagued him his entire life.

"I've lost around 130 pounds altogether," he said.

Now going into his senior year at the University of Michigan, Jonathan believes he has created new life habits that will stay with him forever.

"It's just a great feeling. I'm going to eat healthy. I'm going to exercise. It's not I'm going to starve myself," he said.

Jonathan got that leather jacket. His brother has also lost 60 pounds just by simple diet and exercise.

If you want to figure out what diet plan might work for you, click here for a review of all the plans.

• Deena CentofantiMore>>

Frustrated by Health Insurance Exchanges? Experts say 'relax'

Thursday, October 3 2013 6:30 PM EDT2013-10-03 22:30:09 GMT
    The Affordable Care Act kicked in on Tuesday and not only has it been the subject of fierce political battles, but the online marketplace has been bogged down with technical problems.

The dangers of diabetes, how you can rate your risk

Tuesday, March 26 2013 5:24 PM EDT2013-03-26 21:24:38 GMT
    Hundreds of thousands of Michiganders have no idea their bodies are having a tough time controlling their blood sugar.

Study: For heart health, food is medicine too

Tuesday, December 4 2012 4:11 PM EST2012-12-04 21:11:01 GMT
    You have one heart attack and then take medication to prevent another one, but there's new research that says what you eat is a very powerful tool in preventing another heart attack.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

Van Dyke Construction Scheduled Today

Monday, April 21 2014 3:48 AM EDT2014-04-21 07:48:59 GMT
    A massive construction project is underway in Macomb County. If you travel on Van Dyke, you know how rough it is. Now, jackhammers are out there tearing up a two-and-a half mile stretch from 11 Mile to Chicago Rd. The road will be milled, then resurfaced with asphalt. New curbs will be installed. Nine intersections get new traffic signals. Sidewalks will be ramped to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Weather permitting, the project will be finished this summer.

Chrysler Expanding Presence in China

Monday, April 21 2014 3:32 AM EDT2014-04-21 07:32:50 GMT
    Fiat and Chrysler announced plans this weekend to build three new Jeep models in China for that market, the biggest for the vehicles outside the United States, as they attempt to boost sales in a country where they lag behind their competitors. The automakers said they will expand their joint venture with China's Guangzhou Automobile Group Co. Ltd., and increase the portfolio of Jeeps, which are currently imported to China. Production is expected to start in late 2015.

Ford at the Beijing Auto Show

Monday, April 21 2014 3:27 AM EDT2014-04-21 07:27:48 GMT
    Ford Motor Co. on Sunday unveiled a new Escort sedan designed in China for global sale at a Beijing auto show that highlighted the growing influence of Chinese tastes on the industry. Automakers are looking to China's biggest auto show this year to help boost sales in this huge but cooling market. Total sales last year reached 17.9 million vehicles, but growth is expected to slow from 15.7 percent to as low as 8 percent, even as newcomers including Lincoln and Tesla enter the market.
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices