BOSTON (AP) - Here are some of the key witnesses expected to testify at the racketeering trial of reputed gangster James "Whitey" Bulger, according to witness lists and statements made by prosecutors and Bulger's attorneys.
Jury selection is scheduled to begin Tuesday. Bulger is charged with playing a role in 19 murders.
- Stephen "The Rifleman" Flemmi, Bulger's former partner in the Winter Hill Gang, who pleaded guilty in 10 murders and is serving a life sentence.
- John Martorano, former hit man, admitted killing 20 people and was sentenced to 14 years in prison.
- Kevin Weeks, former Bulger lieutenant, pleaded guilty to racketeering charges and served five years in prison.
- James "Whitey" Bulger, reputed leader of the Winter Hill Gang, charged in a sweeping racketeering indictment. His lawyers have said he will take the stand in his own defense.
- FBI Director Robert Mueller, who worked as a federal prosecutor in Boston in the 1980s.
- William Weld, former Massachusetts governor, U.S. attorney for Massachusetts from 1981-86, when Bulger claims federal prosecutor Jeremiah O'Sullivan, now deceased, gave him immunity.
- U.S. District Judge Richard Stearns, who worked as a federal prosecutor in Boston during the time when Bulger says he had immunity from O'Sullivan. Bulger's lawyers successfully argued to a federal appeals court that Stearns should be removed from presiding at Bulger's trial because of the potential for an appearance of conflict of interest.