Marinated Chicken Breasts with Grilled Apple Rings
Makes 6 servings
3/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
3/4 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1½ tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
1½ teaspoons salt
1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
3 Red Delicious or Golden Delicious apples, washed but unpeeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch rings
6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (each 6 ounces)
1. To make the marinade: Whisk the apple cider, wine, onion, oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper together in a medium bowl.
2. Place the apple rings in a 1-quart resealable plastic bag. Pour in about 1/3 cup of the marinade (including the onion and rosemary), and close the bag. Set aside.
3. To make the chicken: One at a time, place a chicken breast half between 2 plastic storage bags. Using a flat meat pounder or a rolling pin, pound the chicken until it is about 1/2-inch-thick. Place the chicken breast halves in a 1-gallon resealable plastic bag. Add the remaining marinade and close the bag. Refrigerate the bags of chicken and apple, turning occasionally, for 1 to 2 hours.
4. Remove the chicken and apples from the marinade, transfer to a plate, and discard the marinade. Let the chicken and apples stand at room temperature while preheating the grill.
5. Preheat the grill for direct heating over medium heat (400ºF).
6. Place the chicken on the cooking grate and close the lid. Cook until the undersides are seared with grill marks, about 4 minutes. Flip the chicken over and cook, with the lid closed as much as possible, until it feels firm when pressed with your finger, 4 to 6 minutes more. Transfer to a platter and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm. Add the apples to the grill and cook, with the lid closed, flipping once, until seared with grill marks and crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes total. Add the apples to the platter with the chicken. Serve hot.