Structure Fire Burns Through Strip Mall, Pet Store - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Structure Fire Burns Through Strip Mall, Pet Store

Posted: Updated:
Los Angeles, CA -

This story has so many grim elements to it. Fire severely damaged a strip mall at Vermont in Hollywood, affecting a pet shop the most. Kim's Pet and Fish shop had been in the neighborhood for 25 years, and its current owners had it for the past 5 years. Firefighters were able to save about 100 animals, however, Aeriel Valdez says so many others died. There were snakes, rabbits, birds, fish and other critters that could not handle the heat. When it came to fish many died because their glass aquariums cracked sending water out of the tanks killing the fish inside.

Bad as that was, Valdez, and one of the owners Carlos Xicotencalt, told me some people stole animals. Owner Xicotencalt tells me he hopes they take care of the animals they stole. Valdez, though, says it was "ugly" seeing people take pets while she and others were trying to save them.

And on another sad note, the shop owners have no insurance and hope to rebuild with whatever savings they have. 

Firefighters say that the fire was "accidental" and are currently trying to discover the cause behind the tragic fire. Hopefully, we'll learn more later. Meanwhile, the pets that survived have been taken to another pet shop. For Xicotencalt, his brother Vicente, and their mom, they are feeling a sense of shock. They hope to rebuild with their savings.

  • Share ThisMore>>

  • Kidnapping "Prank" Goes Bad, Parents Not Amused

    Kidnapping "Prank" Goes Bad, Parents Not Amused

    Friday, April 18 2014 1:58 PM EDT2014-04-18 17:58:38 GMT
    Twins brothers with a YouTube channel filled with their pranks say they weren't trying to make a joke. Serious intentions or not, a park full of parents were not amused by their latest stunt. This video is a must-see!
    Twins brothers with a YouTube channel filled with their pranks say they weren't trying to make a joke. Serious intentions or not, a park full of parents were not amused by their latest stunt. This video is a must-see!
  • Griffith Park Mountain Lion Found Sick, Possibly Poisoned

    Griffith Park Mountain Lion Found Sick, Possibly Poisoned

    Thursday, April 17 2014 3:26 PM EDT2014-04-17 19:26:14 GMT
    Rat poison may be responsible for the sorry condition of a wild mountain lion in LA's Griffith Park. The mountain lion is known to the National Park Service as ‘P-22'.
    Rat poison may be responsible for the sorry condition of a wild mountain lion in LA's Griffith Park. The mountain lion is known to the National Park Service as ‘P-22'.
  • myFOX Tech

    Tired, Sore Eyes? Enter: Gunnar Optiks Intercept

    Tired, Sore Eyes? Enter: Gunnar Optiks Intercept

    Thursday, April 17 2014 1:39 PM EDT2014-04-17 17:39:18 GMT
    I met the folks from Gunnar Optiks at CES this year and they had something new to show me. The Intercepts. I have a big head, these are big frames, it was kismet but do they work as good as they look? We'll see.
    I met the folks from Gunnar Optiks at CES this year and they had something new to show me. The Intercepts. I have a big head, these are big frames, it was kismet but would my eyes revel in this serendipitous confluence of events? We'll see.
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices