Jay-Z planning 'surprise' Midtown concert - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Jay-Z planning 'surprise' Midtown concert

Posted: Updated:

By THE NEW YORK POST

Jay-Z is planning a surprise concert atop the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theater next month that will turn rush-hour Times Square into a gigantic street party, sources told the New York Post.

The rapper is close to obtaining the necessary approvals for a July 8 "Late Show With David Letterman" performance, the sources said.

The city killed the same plan in the summer of 2010 over concerns about crowd control and security.

"If he gets permission from the mayor's office, it's going to be off the hook," a law-enforcement source said. "They'll have to shut down Broadway around the Letterman building. They'll have to have a strong police presence. It's going to be chaos with so many fans."

The sources said the concert will likely go off as planned, despite the Bloomberg administration's decision to pull the plug three years ago.

"It is close. There are a lot of logistical concerns," one said, including shutting down a large swath of Times Square near the theater, which is between West 53rd and West 54th streets.

But, the source added, "This would be a great event for New York City."

In 2010, Jay-Z and Eminem moved their concert to the theater's rooftop, where permits weren't required, after the city put the kibosh on their initial plan.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices