Preparations underway for Macy’s Fireworks Show - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Preparations underway for Macy’s Fireworks Show

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Forty thousand shells were being loaded onto four barges on Staten Island Saturday in preparation for the massive celebration for the annual Macy's Fireworks Show.

A Macy's spokeswoman said it takes 12 days to prepare the 40,000 explosions that will be featured.

A happy face with a wink exploding over New York City will be one of the spectacles that will light up the sky as part of Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks 2013 Thursday, which is the nation's biggest display.

"You're going to see things come to life, where ordinarily one firework shell would burst this year they could burst three times. We've had happy faces in the sky in the past. This year, they're going to wink at you," said Amy Kule, Macy's Fireworks Executive Producer.

The barges will sit on the Hudson River between Manhattan's West 24th and 42nd streets, with fireworks shooting about 1,000 feet into the air. Thursday's show will be seen by an estimated 3 million people watching live from New York and New Jersey with millions more on television.

Grammy-award winning musician Usher created the show's soundtrack.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices