New developer for Nassau Coliseum - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

New developer for Nassau Coliseum

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

For renovating the aging, worn out Nassau Coliseum, the choice was between James Dolan's Madison Square Garden Company versus a company affiliated with Barclays Center developer Bruce Ratner.

Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano followed the unanimous recommendation of a county committee.

"I am pleased to announce that the Nassau Events Center LLC is the successful proposer to transform the 43-year-old Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum and plaza," Mangano said.

The plan from Nassau Events Center, run by Bruce Ratner, won by offering the county more money in rent over the course of the lease, for example.

Mangano said MSG offered $112 million while NEC offered $194 million. Mangano emphasized that no taxpayer money will be used. And instead of losing more than $2 million a year, the county, if all goes as planned, will make $2 million a year.

"We are ready to get to work to deliver a world-class Coliseum and a thriving sports, entertainment and retail center that long Island deserves," Ratner said in a statement.

Meantime, Dolan's MSG noted: "While we are disappointed with the County's decision, we are not at all surprised given the history of this project, and will be watching closely as this process moves to the county legislature."

Donald Monti, the CEO of the company set to transform the 77 acres next to the Coliseum, called the decision a victory for taxpayers, who, he said, will in a few years see a sporting venue, a retail campus and more.

Although the New York Islanders hockey team, which has played at the Coliseum since 1972, will be moving to Brooklyn' Barclays Center in 2015, the deal calls for the team to play a few games in the renovated Coliseum. The Brooklyn Nets, who also play at Barclays, will also play some games at the Coliseum.

If as expected the county legislature approves the plan, Ratner's NEC takes over the coliseum in two years through 2049.

  • Long Island NewsLong Island NewsMore>>

  • Queens teen pleads guilty in crash that killed 4 friends on Long Island

    Queens teen pleads guilty in crash that killed 4 friends on Long Island

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 2:54 PM EDT2014-07-29 18:54:40 GMT
    A New York teenager has pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide in a 2012 high-speed crash that killed four of his friends and split his new car in two. Joseph Beer entered the plea Tuesday. He faces five to 15 years in prison, though his attorney is seeking youthful offender status because he was 17 at the time.
    A New York teenager has pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide in a 2012 high-speed crash that killed four of his friends and split his new car in two. Joseph Beer entered the plea Tuesday. He faces five to 15 years in prison, though his attorney is seeking youthful offender status because he was 17 at the time.
  • Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Accused Long Island cop killer found guilty

    Monday, July 28 2014 12:49 PM EDT2014-07-28 16:49:08 GMT
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 33, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
    An ex-convict suspected of gunning down a Nassau County police officer and then fatally shooting a carjacking victim was found guilty on all counts in the murders on Monday. Darrell Fuller, 34, shot and killed Police Officer Arthur Lopez in October 2012 who suspected he had been involved in a hit-and-run car accident. Authorities said Fuller then fled that shooting and killed the second victim, Raymond Facey of Queens, while stealing his vehicle.
  • 3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    3 Nassau beaches closed due to heavy rainfall

    Monday, July 28 2014 11:27 AM EDT2014-07-28 15:27:54 GMT
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
    Three Nassau County beaches have been closed to bathing due to heavy rainfall. County health officials say storm water runoff can elevate bacterial levels and affect bathing water quality. The three South Shore beaches that were closed Monday are: Hewlett Point Beach; Island Park Beach; and Merrick Estates Civic Association. In addition, Biltmore and Philip Healey beaches in Massapequa remain closed to bathing due to elevated levels of bacteria.
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices