Fire started by candle displaces 20 in Salem - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Fire started by candle displaces 20 in Salem

Posted: Updated:

SALEM, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- A fire that broke out at a six-family building in Salem displaced 20 people Saturday.

Fire officials say the fire began at about 6:30 a.m. at 6064 Perkins St. They believe it started with a candle left on a baby's high chair on the second floor of the building and traveled up to the third.

Investigators also say a smoke detector was not hooked up at the time of the fire.

The blaze caused an estimated $75,000 in damages to the building, as well as some smoke and water damage to adjacent buildings.

The American Red Cross is assisting 14 of those impacted, including two infants and two teenagers. There were no reported injuries.

Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices