FALL RIVER, Mass. (AP) - The prosecutor overseeing the murder case against former New England Patriots star Aaron Hernandez announced Wednesday that he will not be a candidate for attorney general of Massachusetts.
In a letter to the Herald News of Fall River, Bristol District Attorney Samuel Sutter said he had decided to instead seek re-election to his current job next year.
Sutter, a Democrat from Fall River who ran unsuccessfully for the U.S. House last year, acknowledged that he remains interested in serving in another elected office at some point and strongly considered running for attorney general. But he said the timing is not right.
He did not mention Hernandez by name in the letter, but referenced that he is in the midst of the most highly publicized case of his tenure as district attorney and one that will likely define his administration.
"I have overseen the investigation from day one and intend to be part of the trial team, along with (assistant district attorneys) Bill McCauley and Pat Bomberg. Clearly, I should not be leaving this responsibility at the outset of the case," Sutter wrote.
Hernandez is charged in the shooting death of Odin Lloyd, a 27-year-old semi-professional football player whose body was found June 17 in an industrial park in North Attleborough.
Sutter added he wants to continue other initiatives that he has started in the DA's office and also cited the demands that statewide campaigning would make on his family life.
The state's current attorney general, Martha Coakley, announced last month she would seek the Democratic nomination for governor.
No candidate - Democrat or Republican - has so far announced plans to run for attorney general.
Others who have ruled out seeking the office include Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley, former Middlesex District Attorney Gerald Leone and state consumer affairs chief Barbara Anthony.