The entire parking lot was filled with responding police cars on the north end of the mall that is anchored by Nordstrom. Video from SkyFoxHD showed people running from the mall at around 10 p.m.
By 11 p.m. authorities said that it was no longer an active shooter situation but they were still combing the mall and evacuating people from inside the building.
A worker at a Joe's American restaurant in the mall tells Fox 5 News he heard shots and mall security told staff to lock the doors. But, Eduardo Bermudez says everyone started running from the restaurant into the parking lot.
A witness who was leaving a movie theater at the mall told Fox 5 News that she say people running from the mall and then heard at least 4 shots. She said the shots were in the area of the Apple store on the second floor.
Paramus Mayor Richard LaBarbiera told Fox 5 News in a live interview that only one shot had been confirmed and that only one shell casing had been found inside the building but a county official later said that multiple shots had been fired.
The gunman's family addressed reporters outside the family home in Teaneck on Tuesday morning.
"This was something that none of us saw coming. We're not exactly (sure) what caused him to do this," said Kevin Schoop. My brother intended to harm nobody else but himself."