Kohl's Cares: Home fire prevention and safety tips - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Kohl's Cares: Home fire prevention and safety tips

Posted: Updated:

Roberta Davis, Kohl's Injury Prevention Education Coordinator with the Children's Hospital of Michigan, has the following home fire prevention and safety tips. To learn more, log on to www.childrensdmc.org/KIPP.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) about 85% of all U.S. fire deaths occur in homes. Most victims die from smoke or toxic gases not from burns. Smoking is the leading cause of fire-related deaths and cooking is the primary cause of residential fires.
To protect yourself from death and injury from fire:
1. Install working smoke detectors on each level of your home to include the sleeping areas.
2. Have a fire escape plan and practice that plan. Two ways out of each room and one outside meeting place.

To avoid fires in the home:
1. Stay with the stove or oven when you are cooking.
2. Make sure not to overload electrical outlets. If there are two receptacles then there should only be two electrical appliances plugged in.
3. Blow out all candles when you leave the room.
4. Store matches and lighters above an adults shoulder preferably in a locked cabinet.

According to the American Burn Association (ABA) the most common cause of burn injuries were contact with fire or flame and scald injuries.
To protect yourself from burns:
1.Turn your hot water heater down to 120 degrees Fahrenheit or warm. Dial it down.
2. Remember an iron can take up to 90 minutes to cool completely.
3. Do not hold an infant or child while drinking hot liquids.
4. Cook on the back burners of your stove and turn pot/pan handles in, away from the edge.
5. The microwave is as dangerous as the stove- steam burns are very common from microwave food and cooking.

It's that time of year again when it's cold outside and dry inside, a perfect storm for shocks.
To avoid shocking yourself or others:
1. Store and use electric devices away from water.
2. Replace electrical equipment that is worn or damaged.
3. Try not to drag feet across carpeting in the home. (Static electricity)
4. Avoid overloading power strips and other receptacles with multiple plugs. Using only two pugs per outlet lessens the risk of shock and fire.
5. Check all the Christmas lights for frays or damage before plugging them in.

First-degree (superficial) burns
First-degree burns affect only the epidermis, or outer layer of skin. The burn site is red, painful, dry, and with no blisters. Mild sunburn is an example. Long-term tissue damage is rare and usually consists of an increase or decrease in the skin color.

Second-degree (partial thickness) burns
Second-degree burns involve the epidermis and part of the dermis layer of skin. The burn site appears red, blistered, and may be swollen and painful.

Third-degree (full thickness) burns
Third-degree burns destroy the epidermis and dermis. Third-degree burns may also damage the underlying bones, muscles, and tendons. The burn site appears white or charred. There is no sensation in the area since the nerve endings are destroyed. Second and third-degree burns require the immediate attention of a physician or other healthcare provider.

Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices