PLYMOUTH, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- The American Red Cross offered assistance to 12 residents displaced by a fire at a Plymouth senior housing facility Friday.
The 4-alarm fire broke out at High Cliff Senior Housing on Prince Street at about 4 a.m. A Red Cross spokesperson tells FOX 25 that 16 units were impacted, but the residents of four units were able to return to their apartments.
Firefighters say there were some big challenges: the cold weather and the fact that some of the elderly residents couldn't hear the fire alarm or firefighters banging on their door.
Finding everyone was another challenge, fire officials said. Securing the complex required Plymouth to call in 64 firefighters.
"Our first concern is to find everyone, get them out of the building, account for them and at 26 degrees get them someplace; they can't be standing outside," Plymouth Fire Chief Edward Bradley said.
Residents were taken to an area hospital for smoke inhalation, exposure and respiratory issues.
Resident Priscilla Coyle said, "I just feel bad for the people that lost so much."
Plymouth fire officials tell FOX 25 the fire was caused by a tea light candle left burning next to a television.