LOWELL, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- Two off-duty dispatchers are credited with saving a woman and her dog from a burning building in Lowell Thursday.
Irene Courchaine was inside her Cabot Street home with her dog, Sugar, when all of a sudden flames and smoke erupted on her back porch at about 9 a.m.
The 75-year-old's daughter rushed downstairs to help just as two Lowell 911 dispatchers were driving home from the overnight shift.
Steve Paris called the office he just left before rushing inside with his co-worker, Matt Sheehan.
The men said they got Irene to exit the home when they noticed the dog on the stairs. Matt ran in and grabbed Sugar.
Irene's son-in-law told FOX 25 he was cleaning his pellet stove by vacuuming the ashes and put the vacuum on the back porch. The vacuum melted and a nearby propane tank caught fire.
Due to the quick thinking of the dispatchers, Lowell fire crews were able to contain the damage to the porch area. They have been recommended to receive commendations by their supervisor for their response.