Beyoncé under fire for Challenger disaster audio clip in song - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Beyoncé under fire for Challenger disaster audio clip in song

Posted: Updated:
Back (L-R) Ellison S. Onizuka, Christa McAuliffe, Greg Jarvis and Judy Resnik. Front (L-R) Mike Smith, Scobee, and Ron McNair. (NASA photo) Back (L-R) Ellison S. Onizuka, Christa McAuliffe, Greg Jarvis and Judy Resnik. Front (L-R) Mike Smith, Scobee, and Ron McNair. (NASA photo)
MYFOXNY.COM -

Just when it seemed Beyoncé could do no wrong she has come under fire for using an audio clip from the space shuttle Challenger disaster in a song on her new album. The audio clip comes at the beginning of her track "XO" and is a recording of a NASA public affairs officer reacting after the explosion of the shuttle: "Flight controllers here looking very carefully at the situation. Obviously a major malfunction."

The song's video, which was actually shot in Brooklyn, shows Beyoncé and friends running through the amusement park in Coney Island having fun. And that has people close to those who died in the Challenger explosion fuming. One former NASA employee called the use of the audio "inappropriate to the extreme."

NASA released a statement saying that space exploration is risky and should never be trivialized.

June Scobee, the widow of Commander Dick Scobee (one of the seven crew members killed in the Challenger explosion) said: "We were disappointed to learn that an audio clip from the day we lost our heroic Challenger crew was used in the song 'XO.' The moment included in this song is an emotionally difficult one for the Challenger families, colleagues and friends."

Beyoncé has now issued a response to the criticism, saying in part: "The song 'XO' was recorded with the sincerest intention to help heal those who have lost loved ones and to remind us that unexpected things happen, so love and appreciate every minute that you have with those who mean the most to you." She also said the songwriters included the audio in tribute to the unselfish work of the Challenger crew with hope that they will never be forgotten.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • New Jersey detective acquitted in Maryland highway shooting

    NJ detective acquitted in Md. highway shooting

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 2:16 PM EDT2014-07-30 18:16:51 GMT
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
    A jury has found a New Jersey detective not guilty in the slaying of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident. Joseph Walker, 41, an investigator for the Hudson County, New Jersey, prosecutor's office, was found not guilty on all counts on Wednesday in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court. He had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of Joseph Harvey, 36, of Landsdowne.
  • Amazon ships first order from New Jersey

    Amazon ships first order from New Jersey

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:31 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:31:08 GMT
    The world's biggest online retailer has shipped its first order from its new distribution center in New Jersey. The Interplak All-In-One Sonic Water Jet was sent from Robbinsville to an Amazon customer in New York. Amazon says it expects to employ more than 1,000 full-time employees at the 1 million-square-foot center just outside of Trenton.
    The world's biggest online retailer has shipped its first order from its new distribution center in New Jersey. The Interplak All-In-One Sonic Water Jet was sent from Robbinsville to an Amazon customer in New York. Amazon says it expects to employ more than 1,000 full-time employees at the 1 million-square-foot center just outside of Trenton.

  • Injured detective in Village shootout leaves hospital

    Injured detective in Village shootout leaves hospital

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:28 PM EDT2014-07-30 17:28:00 GMT
    The third law enforcement officer injured in a Manhattan shootout is out of the hospital. The NYPD says Detective Mario Muniz was left Bellevue Hospital shortly after noon on Wednesday. Hundreds of his fellow police officers cheered as Muniz left the hospital in a wheelchair pushed by his NYPD patrol partner, Joseph Trovato.

    The third law enforcement officer injured in a Manhattan shootout is out of the hospital. The NYPD says Detective Mario Muniz was left Bellevue Hospital shortly after noon on Wednesday. Hundreds of his fellow police officers cheered as Muniz left the hospital in a wheelchair pushed by his NYPD patrol partner, Joseph Trovato. Police Commissioner William Bratton has said the detective's protective vest may have saved his life.


Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices