Europeans on alert after Olympic athletes in Sochi receive terro - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Europeans on alert after Olympic athletes in Sochi receive terror warnings

Posted: Updated:

Five European countries said Wednesday that they have received messages containing terrorist threats ahead of the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi, but Russian organizers and the International Olympic Committee are downplaying the threats, describing them random messages from a member of the public.

Germany, Hungary, Italy, Slovakia and Slovenia said they received the threats in the form of emails and hand-written letters, according to Reuters. The messages threatened that athletes will be targeted with terrorist attacks at the upcoming games. 


You might also like...

COOL: $1 Billion for Perfect Picks!!!

WTF: 'Racist' Airline Commercial!!!!

SNOW: 100s Gather for Snowball Fight !!!

SHOCK: Bull Sharks Caught Near DC!!!!


Like us on Facebook

"Persons attending the Olympic Games might be blown up," read a portion of a message sent to Hungary, according to the country's Olympic committee international relations director, Zsigmond Nagy.

But Nagy told Reuters that the International Olympic Committee and the Russian organizing committee analyzed the letters and declared that the threat was "not real."

"Both the IOC and the Sochi organizing committee... officially declared after the analysis of the letter that this threat is not real, and this person has been sending all kinds of messages to many members of the Olympic family," he said. 

Nagy quoted IOC officials saying that the letters were sent from a person outside Russia who has written such messages before, but the person was not identified, Reuters reports.

Bence Szabo, secretary general of the Hungarian Olympic committee, told the sports daily Nemzeti Sport on Wednesday that the message urged the Hungarian delegation to stay away from the Winter Games, which run from Feb. 7-23.

Committee President Zsolt Borkai told the state news wire MTI that the IOC, Sochi organizers and Hungarian security forces had been informed.

The IOC repeated its stance that it "takes security very seriously."

"[We will] pass on any credible information to the relevant security services," the IOC said in a statement. "However, in this case it seems like the email sent to the Hungarian Olympic Committee contains no threat and appears to be a random message from a member of the public."

"Also please allow us to say that it would be totally wrong to describe this as a threat," the IOC's head of media relations Emmanuelle Moreau said. "The email is one person's opinion about security and terrorism. It is not a threat from a terrorist. We are sure you appreciate we take real threats very seriously but that also means - with this specific email from one individual - that we must not create a threat where one does not exist."

A spokeswoman for the Switzerland's Olympic committee said similar threats were "normal" so close to the Winter Games, and that athletes and officials would base their travel plans on the assessment of security and diplomatic officials.

"This is kind of an everyday mail. This is normal before every Olympics," Martina Gasner told The Associated Press by telephone. "We work with the federal offices for police and foreign relations."

"If they say you can go to Sochi, we will go, and if one day they will say it is too dangerous and we command you not to go then we will change our plans," she said.

Meanwhile, Russian officials are hunting down three potential suicide bombers, including one believed in be in Sochi. The State Department is telling those attending the games to remain attentive to personal security. U.S. lawmakers have also expressed serious concerns.

President Obama offered Russian President Vladimir Putin the full security assistance of the U.S. Tuesday as concerns continue to mount over terror threats at next month’s games. 

There was no immediate indication of Putin's response to Obama's offer, but officials said the two countries were also involved in “exploratory discussions” to use high-tech American equipment to help secure the games.

Fox News' Jonathan Hunt and The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

  • Viral StoriesMore>>

  • Former Virginia Hospital Center technician charged with raping patient

    Former Virginia Hospital Center technician charged with raping patient

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 9:05 AM EDT2014-04-15 13:05:25 GMT
    A former Virginia Hospital Center technician has been arrested and charged with rape after a patient says he attacked her while she was being treated in January.
    A former Virginia Hospital Center technician has been arrested and charged with rape after a patient says he attacked her while she was being treated in January.
  • Cuba slashes more than 100,000 health care jobs

    Cuba slashes more than 100,000 health care jobs

    Tuesday, April 8 2014 9:35 AM EDT2014-04-08 13:35:59 GMT
    HAVANA (AP) -- Cuban authorities say they have eliminated more than 100,000 jobs in health care, considered one of the pillars of the 1959 revolution. The cuts come as President Raul Castro tries to streamline government as part of a broader economic reform package. The weekly labor newspaper Trabajadores said Monday that 109,000 health care positions have been cut. Two years ago, Cuba said more than 50,000 jobs in that sector had been slashed. Most of the cuts came in less-skilled positions...
    HAVANA (AP) -- Cuban authorities say they have eliminated more than 100,000 jobs in health care, considered one of the pillars of the 1959 revolution. The cuts come as President Raul Castro tries to streamline government as part of a broader economic reform package. The weekly labor newspaper Trabajadores said Monday that 109,000 health care positions have been cut. Two years ago, Cuba said more than 50,000 jobs in that sector had been slashed. Most of the cuts came in less-skilled positions...
  • Scam warning after callers claim arrest unless payment made

    Scam warning after callers claim arrest unless payment made

    Thursday, April 3 2014 7:56 AM EDT2014-04-03 11:56:45 GMT
    A warning is in from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office about a phone scam. Someone is calling unsuspecting victims, claiming to be from the Sheriff’s Office.
    A warning is in from the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office about a phone scam. Someone is calling unsuspecting victims, claiming to be from the Sheriff’s Office.
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices