MANCHESTER, N.H. (MyFoxBoston.com) – One person has died following an early-morning fire in Manchester, New Hampshire.
The fire broke out at about 12:30 a.m. Friday on the third floor of a multi-family home on Joliette Street and spread to three alarms.
Fire officials said the victim was identified as Charles Sullivan, 31, of Manchester. Officials said the fire broke out in his apartment.
One person was believed to have been unaccounted for in the fire but officials said they were found and were safe.
Officials also said icy conditions and a frozen fire hydrant made battling the blaze a challenge. One firefighter was treated for an injured knee after slipping and falling on the ice.
In total, eight people have been displaced.
Fire Marshal Degnan and Chief Burkush highlighted how important it is to have working smoke detectors.
"The presence of working smoke detectors saved several lives today," Degnan said. "The importance of checking your detectors regularly cannot be overstated."
They also noted that residential sprinklers may have saved another life Friday. Sprinklers were not required in that building.
An investigation into the fire is underway by the state fire marshal's office.