Mom in Mass. missing boy case ruled competent - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Mom in Mass. missing boy case ruled competent

Posted: Updated:

FITCHBURG, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com/AP) - The mother of a missing 5-year-old Massachusetts boy who is feared dead was found competent to stand trial Friday on charges including reckless endangerment of a child.

Elsa Oliver and her boyfriend, Alberto Sierra, have both been charged in connection with the disappearance of her son, Jeremiah. Both have pleaded not guilty.

Jeremiah's father, Jose Oliver, said, "He lived with her, so I know that if he disappeared she has to know where he's at. I believe that she's afraid."

Jeremiah has not been seen by relatives since September but police learned of the disappearance only last month.

The case led to the firing of three workers in the Leominster office of the state Department of Children and Families for not properly checking on the family.

The court hearing was marred by an angry outburst by one of Jeremiah's uncles, who had to be forcibly removed from the courtroom. Sandrino Oliver shouted at Elsa Oliver, "Where's my nephew?"

The Fitchburg woman's attorney, James Reardon Jr., told reporters outside court that he's not certain his 28-year-old client is able to communicate with him.

Reardon also said he was willing to consider allowing Jeremiah's father, Jose Oliver of New Britain, Conn., to meet his estranged wife to ask her what happened to their son, The Boston Globe reported.

Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices