D.C. fire lieutenant submits retirement papers amid investigatio - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

D.C. fire lieutenant submits retirement papers amid investigation

Posted: Updated:
Lt. Kellene Davis covered her face and refused to speak to FOX 5 as she left headquarters on Wednesday, January 29, 2014. Lt. Kellene Davis covered her face and refused to speak to FOX 5 as she left headquarters on Wednesday, January 29, 2014.
WASHINGTON - FOX 5 News has learned that the lieutenant at the center of the investigation into the death of a man near a D.C. fire station has submitted her retirement papers. On Thursday, FOX 5’s Paul Wagner reported that Lt. Kellene Davis had been relieved of command and was assigned to desk duty.

The investigation surrounds the death of Cecil Mills, who collapsed in northeast D.C. on Saturday and later died. People were screaming for help, but no one from the firehouse responded.

It’s unclear if Lt. Davis will be allowed to retire without facing some kind of discipline.

FOX 5 reported Thursday that Davis appeared to be throwing one of her own under the bus.She wrote a letter to Fire Chief Kenneth Ellerbe. In it, she is blaming the whole thing on a firefighter who she says disobeyed her command.

Davis had nothing to say to FOX 5 as she left fire department headquarters Wednesday. We gave her the opportunity to tell her side of the story, but she said nothing.

On Thursday, Wagner got his hands on a letter Lt. Davis sent to Chief Ellerbe which she titled an "Unusual Occurrence."

In her statement, Davis says: "Firefighter G. Murphy informed me that someone had slipped and fallen across the street. I then asked (him) to get me an address and I will be right there. (He) did not return with an address. This was an (Unusual Occurrence) in that my order was not followed.”

That address is right across from the firehouse.

Davis says she went looking for Murphy, found him in the bunkroom, and he told her another ambulance already had been dispatched.

In her statement, Davis went on to say another firefighter-- a rookie who heard the pleas for help -- was counseled for not ringing the firehouse bells, which is proper procedure.

Firefighter Murphy was also assigned to desk duty along with Davis. The rookie has been transferred to a fire station on Georgia Avenue.

Ellerbe has remained silent despite repeated requests for an interview.

FOX 5 also reported Thursday that the firehouse has been getting threatening phone calls. The fire department confirms this. Sources are elaborating by saying they are death threats.

Mayor Vincent Gray has promised a quick conclusion to the investigation. He says he was outraged by the firefighters’ behavior.

Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices