WORCESTER, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- A broken gas pipe caused firefighters to shut down streets and evacuate businesses in part of Worcester Monday evening after a cast-iron gas pipe broke.
At around 5:15 p.m., the Worcester Fire Department received multiple reports of a gas smell in the area of Webster Square. When firefighters arrived, they ventilated area manhole covers and meter readings showed elevated levels of gas in the areas of Mill Street, Main Street and Park Avenue.
The gas had pressurized in several manholes, and was back-flowing into several businesses.
"I know it was a major inconvenience for the citizens of Worcester, but all it would've taken was one spark, and we could've had a major incident on our hands," said Worcester Fire Chief Frank DiLiddo.
Police and fire officials closed streets in the area and evacuated 8 businesses as they searched for the leak.
NStar found a break in a 6-inch pipe near 17 Mill St. Crews estimated it would take until around midnight to finish patching the pipe.
As crews worked, police reopened the roads that had been temporarily closed.