Unarmed alarms played 'major' role in Mich. prisoner's escape - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Unarmed alarms played 'major' role in Mich. prisoner's escape

Posted: Updated:

LANSING, Mich. The Michigan Corrections Department says prison guards' failure to reset motion-detection alarms played a "major role" in a convicted killer's escape last month.

Two zones at a prison vehicle entrance weren't secured at the start of a shift at the Ionia Correctional Facility, according to an investigatory report released Thursday. Inmate Michael Elliot crawled under fences and escaped for 24 hours before being captured in Indiana.

The state says Elliot told them he began to think seriously about an escape due to heavy snow he thought would provide cover. He was wearing all-white clothing which he had made from white thermal underwear. And he ultimately chose Super Bowl Sunday because he thought staff might be distracted. But investigators found no evidence that was the case.

Investigators also found no evidence Elliot had help from other inmates or staff.

They say Elliot escaped just before 7 p.m. that night. He was last accounted for at 1:25 p.m. and was discovered missing during the 9 p.m. formal count.

Elliot was serving life sentences for four counts of Murder 1st degree and other dangerous felonies.

The released report also states the MDOC Director or Deputy Director of the Correctional facilities Administration will personally visit each correctional facility to review the facts of the escape and reiterate the importance of facility security and public safety.

Copyright 2014 by myFOXDetroit.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 24-year-old women is $66 million jackpot winner

    24-year-old women is $66 million jackpot winner

    Thursday, July 31 2014 11:26 AM EDT2014-07-31 15:26:09 GMT
    The Michigan Lottery says a Port Huron woman is the winner of a $66 million Mega Millions jackpot that was drawn in mid-June.Kelsey Zachow says in a statement that she "could barely breathe" when she learned she was the winner.
    The Michigan Lottery says a Port Huron woman is the winner of a $66 million Mega Millions jackpot that was drawn in mid-June.Kelsey Zachow says in a statement that she "could barely breathe" when she learned she was the winner.
  • Winner of $66 Million Mega Millions Jackpot to be Announced

    Winner of $66 Million Mega Millions Jackpot to be Announced

    Thursday, July 31 2014 10:31 AM EDT2014-07-31 14:31:30 GMT
    Michigan Lottery news conference to announce the winner of the $66 million Mega Millions jackpot from Friday, June 13, 2014.
    Michigan Lottery news conference to announce the winner of the $66 million Mega Millions jackpot from Friday, June 13, 2014.
  • City of Detroit posts improvement updates online

    City of Detroit posts improvement updates online

    Thursday, July 31 2014 7:18 AM EDT2014-07-31 11:18:29 GMT
    Residents will be able to view the number of new streetlights installed in their Detroit neighborhood, how many lots were mown and the number of vacant houses demolished by going to the city's website.
    Residents will be able to view the number of new streetlights installed in their Detroit neighborhood, how many lots were mown and the number of vacant houses demolished by going to the city's website.
  • Download the FOX 2 Apps


  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices