Officials: Tewksbury explosion caused by THC extraction process
TEWKSBURY, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- Tewksbury fire officials say a preliminary investigation indicates a marijuana THC extraction process involving butane gas caused a house explosion that injured three.
Tewksbury Fire Chief Michael Hazelsay a buildup of butane vapors within an apartment located at 22 Astle Street came in contact with an ignition source, which caused an explosion.
The blast blew out windows and caused the roof of the multi-family home to collapse. Emergency crews were called to the scene at about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Two men and one woman sustained burn-related injuries. All three were transported via medical helicopters to hospitals in Boston.
Six people in total were displaced by the explosion. Damage to the residence is estimated to cost $200,000.