DORCHESTER, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) – A Dorchester house explosion that sent 12 people to the hospital and knocked the entire building off of its foundation Wednesday was caused by a natural gas leak.
Fire officials confirmed the cause of the explosion Thursday morning. The explosion reportedly occurred after someone called National Grid about a smell of gas in the area.
Boston police and firefighters responded to the explosion at 27 Hansborough St. just before 9:30 p.m.
The explosion turned into a three-alarm fire. There was heavy fire in the basement and upper floors when firefighters arrived. The home was partially collapsed on both sides.
Two elderly residents were seriously injured. Several children were also hurt. Their injuries ranged from cuts to smoke inhalation.
People in the area said they heard and felt the explosion from several blocks away.
"I thought it was an earthquake or something," one neighbor said.
Boston Mayor Marty Walsh said officials worked to find accommodations for those who were displaced. A Boston fire official told the Boston Globe he expected neighbors who were evacuated to be back in their homes by Thursday morning, except for the residents of one home next door.
National Grid released the following statement Thursday: "Our thoughts and prayers are with those injured in last night's incident. We continue to cooperate with the ongoing state and local investigations into this incident. However, preliminarily, we have not found any issues with our infrastructure and it appears to have been operating normally."