Report: Discarded cigarette sparked Lakeview Pavilion fire - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Report: Discarded cigarette sparked Lakeview Pavilion fire

Posted: Updated:
FOXBORO, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com)— Fire officials say a fire that tore through a popular Foxborough event venue was caused by a discarded cigarette.

Fire officials told the Sun Chronicle the fire has been ruled accidental and that the cause was improperly discarded smoking material.

An investigation indicated that burn patterns from the building’s exterior show the fire started from the outside. This ruled out the structure’s wiring and ventilation as a cause.

Flames engulfed the Lakeview Pavilion shortly after a wedding ceremony on April 5. A cigarette was tossed onto mulch that caught fire and spread to the building. The more than 100-year-old venue had no sprinkler system.  All guests and staff were safely evacuated.

The flames demolished the pavilion and left many people scrambling to search for another venue for their upcoming events. The Pavilion staff worked with engaged couples to create new arrangements.

Lakeview Pavilion owners Natalia Kapourelakos and Anastasia Tsoumbanos said they will rebuild the venue on the site if they can.

To read more: TheSunChronicle.com
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices