Condo fire that injured over a dozen may have been caused by can - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

Condo fire that injured over a dozen may have been caused by candle

Posted: Updated:
DENNISPORT, Mass. (MyFoxBoston.com) -- Investigators say a three-alarm blaze at a Dennis condominium complex that sent 13 people to the hospital may have been started by a candle.

Fire Chief Mark Dellner says the preliminary investigation determined that the fire early Friday morning may have been caused by a candle that fell over in a first-floor unit.

The fire started at about 2:30 a.m. at the building on Center Street. It took firefighters roughly an hour and a half to get the blaze under control. Six departments from surrounding towns were called in to help.

Residents had to jump from second floor windows to escape the heat and smoke. A wheelchair-bound woman was initially trapped in her apartment, but a good Samaritan neighbor was able to get her to safety while police and firefighters helped rescue others.

The injured include two police officers and two firefighters, but Dellner tells the Cape Cod Times they have all returned to work. Two of the residents injured had to be flown to Boston hospitals.

Damage to the two-story building and residents' possessions is estimated at around $2 million, but Dellner says it could have been much worse.

The fire remains under investigation.
Powered by WorldNow

25 FOX Drive
Dedham, MA 02026

Phone (781) 467-2525

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices